Sunday, December 04, 2005

Setting up a blog for high school students

An English teacher in Arlington did this for her class. The kids didn't know each other's usernames, but she did. They knew she knew, but they didn't know who was who.
What I did to set up the blogs was a little labor intensive but saved me some headaches down the road. Basically, I set them all up and made passwords myself, then just gave the students their usernames and passwords. Blogger doesn't require that the email addresses be unique, so I set up a free dummy account on Yahoo and used that for all of the invitations ... the trick is that each invite only works once so you have to send the invite (while logged on to your blogger site), use it to set up that account (create username and password), and then send the next invite, repeat, repeat. So it really helped to set up all usernames and passwords in advance and put them in an Excel table so it was just "copy, switch apps, paste, tab," etc, etc. The other trick is to use two different browsers or even two computers side by side so that you don't have to log in and out of your own account each time.

Then I used that Excel table to do a mail merge in Word so that each student had some simple instructions to go with. I'll attach what that file looked like in case it can be of use.

No comments: