Monday, April 23, 2012

SketchCrawl #35 - A World Event

Washington Square, North Bach, San Francisco
The 35th World Wide SketchCrawl event took place this Saturday, April 21st. I attended with the SF Sketchers MeetUp group which started out at Cafe Trieste in North Beach. The group continued on to Washington Square and ultimately ended up at Fisherman's Wharf. I stayed until about 2:30 and totally enjoyed a record breaking warm and sunny San Francisco day. The sketches from participants in San Francisco can be viewed along with other sketches posted in separate forums from around the world. Through our SF Sketchers group I have discovered true "mindfulness" as the experience of sitting in one place for long enough to capture an in-sight of the location allows for an extremely rich experience. The noises, smells and conversations all around me tickle the edges of my awareness as I focus very carefully on the page. I have a water brush that allows me to paint in bits of color from my tiny water color box. I jump back and forth between favoring the pencil or the pen with colors. I am learning how to pack the essentials in my backpack, which now includes; snack of carrots, gorp, and water, a folding stool, extra jacket, sunscreen, iPhone, wallet, two small pads, pencils, 4 pens and 2 water brushes. Hat and extra layers are worn. Sometimes I take the iPad to draw on, but not this time. 

1 comment:

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

This is a lovely sketch, I must say. It captures such a feeling. Thanks for the share.